| If you are new to walking with a group, the following tips may be of help to you:
- If you are not sure of your fitness level, please try a short (4/5 miles) easy walk first.
- On all walks it is advisable to wear comfortable supportive footwear and have rain and windproof clothing with you. A packed lunch and plenty to drink are necessities on most walks, even when a pub stop is planned. Leaders may refuse to accept any participant who in their opinion is inadequately equipped or unfit. When in doubt please contact the walk leader in advance.
- Leaders have to consider the enjoyment, safety and well being of the whole walking group and so they need to set the pace of the walk to suit the whole group on the day, irrespective of any grading previously shown. Please ensure that you do not pressurise the leader into a faster walking pace than necessary; those walking on in front of the leader, even with their acknowledgement, cannot be considered as part of the group
- When walking on country roads with no footway usually walk facing the oncoming traffic.
- When crossing farmland please walk no more than two abreast.
- If you wish to leave the group during a walk for any reason, please tell the leader.